Governor Ignored the Will of the People
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 16, 2016 (Cincinnati, Ohio) Contact: Barry Sheets, 614-989-5293 – Paula Westwood, 859-391-0558
We are a coalition of Pro-Life and pro-family organizations from across Ohio, on this issue, representing the real grass roots of prolife voters. We speak today, firmly, as one united voice on the issue of the Ohio Heartbeat Bill.
We are deeply disappointed in Governor Kasich’s veto of the will of the people expressed in the Ohio House and Senate and encourage an override of his ill-informed veto to advance the protection of dying children.
- The Heartbeat Bill has had massive support among those who identify themselves as being pro-life.
- H.B. 493 passed with large majorities in both the House and the Senate.
- Only a very small minority of special interest groups opposed the Heartbeat Bill based on four erroneous or incorrect assumptions:
- ‘This will set back the pro-life cause if overturned’: Fact: in both instances where a heart beat bill was passed in Arkansas and North Dakota not a single existing pro-life law was overturned or in any way adversely impacted
- ‘The Heartbeat Bill will cost Ohio tens of thousands in legal fees to defend’: Fact: Several highly respected constitutional attorneys have agreed to work pro-bono in its defense. One such attorney is Matt Staver of Liberty Council.
- ‘The Heartbeat Bill will certainly be overturned by the courts’: We agree with Ohio Senate President Keith Faber who believes with a new President and Supreme Court Justices, “the bill has a better chance than it did before.” Ohio resides in the common-sense 6th District Court of Appeals, and a number of highly respected legal scholars believe that the Heartbeat Bill will fare no worse than the Pain Capable Bill just signed by the Governor. Finally, appeals take time, by the time this case makes its way through the courts, a lot could change, including the composition of the Supreme Court.
- ‘The Ohio State Medical Assoc. voiced concern on criminalizing their “Standard of Care” ‘: In 2013 a law was passed that imposed a fourth-degree felony for failing to test for a fetal heartbeat. It seems only reasonable to levy a fifth degree felony for the abortionist who terminates a beating heart. The Bill allows for the exception for the life of the mother or when irreversible impairment of a major bodily function is the expected outcome.
Regrettably during the debate on the bill and after it was passed, not one of the current Ohio Right to Life affiliates, listed below, were contacted soliciting our opinion or requesting our support. Planned Parenthood knows that Babies hearts are valuable enough to be sold as research parts. The time to oppose this massive evil is now.
Prolife Ohioans know that a baby with a heartbeat is a life worth protecting, worth standing up for and worth voting for now.
We the undersigned speak today, firmly, as one united voice on the issue of the Ohio Heartbeat Bill. We are deeply disappointed in Governor Kasich’s veto of the will of the people expressed in the Ohio House and Senate. We encourage our Ohio Legislators to override the Governor’s veto.
Cleveland Right to Life
Clermont County Right to Life
Dayton Right to Life
Geauga County Right to Life
Hancock County Right to Life
HELP Pro Life Apostolate
Lake County Right to Life
Lima & Allen County Right to Life
Northeast Ohio Value Voters
Right to Life of Greater Cincinnati
Tiffin Right to Life
Toledo Right to Life
Warren County Right to Life
What’s Left/What’s Right Ministries