President Trump Appointment, Judge Neil Gorsuch
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, February 1, 2017 (Cincinnati, OH) – International headlines are President Trump’s selection of Judge Neil Gorsuch to fill the Supreme Court seat vacated by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia.
Amidst much information now circulating about Judge Gorsuch, the following collected information is compelling.
- has a track record of faithfully applying the law and defending the Constitution, including in two cases where he ruled in favor of religious liberty for Hobby Lobby and the Little Sisters of the Poor
- wrote in another religious liberty case Pleasant Grove City v. Summum that the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause does not prevent local governments from honoring religious speech through a Ten Commandments monument
- is a “textualist” who interprets the Constitution and laws as originally understood
- wrote the scholarly book The Future of Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia, opposing both, in which he states, “All human beings are intrinsically valuable, and the intentional taking of human life by private persons is always wrong.”
- sided with pro-life Utah Gov. Gary Herbert on procedural grounds in his lawsuit against Planned Parenthood, which sued after being cut from state funding
- vowed after introduction last night by President Trump to “do all my powers permit to be a faithful servant of the Constitution and laws of this great country.“
- also concluded, “I am so thankful tonight for my family, my friends and my faith. These are the things that keep me grounded at life’s peaks and have sustained me in its valleys.”
“The addition of a Supreme Court Justice with a history of upholding the Constitution rather than ruling by personal agenda is in accord with American principles and is a promise of fair and decisive judicial consideration for all citizens,” said Paula Westwood, Executive Director, Right to Life of Greater Cincinnati. “We are hopeful for Judge Gorsuch’s speedy approval by members of both political parties.”